- Born: 13 Aug 1692, Salisbury, Essex County, Massachusetts
- Marriage (1): Elizabeth Dimond on 12 Dec 1717 in Amesbury, Essex County, Massachusetts
- Died: Oct 1773, So. Hampton, NH at age 81
He was one of the founders of the first parish of South Hampton, NH. According to Salisbury Second church records he was " dismissed to S. Hampton March 3, 1728.
His Will is on record at Exeter.
"Abstract of Will of Samuel 2 of South Hampton, NH on record at Exeter dated October 10, 1764. Son Israel Straw of Weare(NH) to be executor. Wife Elizabeth use and improvement of 1/2 of the estate. Son Jonathan to have 100 (pounds) part paid in 2 yrs(,) part in 4 and the rest in 6 years and my son Jonathan to have my great bible after his mother's discease(sic). Son Ezekiel to have 100 (pounds) to be paid in the same way as Jonathan's.Son Jacob to have the same as the others. Son Isreal to have the homestead. Daughter Hannah to have four acres of land at a place in Salisbury called Brush Island.
Son Samuel to have 3 acres salt marsh and my hand irons and 1/4 of my pew and furniture for the same after mine and my wife's descease(sic). To my son Samuel 5 acres of land adjacent to Wm. Brown's land and the land I give my son Israel.To daughter Elizabeth Gordon wife of Abner Gordon one fourth of my beds and furniture belonging to the same. To daughter Hannah 5 acres of land 1/3 of all my pewter and my great pot and little one and two trammels and frying pan. To daughter Alice Osgood 100 (pounds) and 1/4 my beds and furniture. To my loving wife the East end of the house afterwards for the use of daughter Hannah as long as she remains single. To my wife, son Israel and daughter Hannah all my tools (re) for the use of the place. To daughter Hannah two barrels cyder(sic) and two barrels apples yearly.
My son Israel of Weare, NH to be executor. Will probated October 27, 1773"
It is uncertain which daughter he was referring to when he says Alice..there was a daughter named Abiah. His daughter Meriam had died in 1736 at the age of 13 or 14. There is no record of an Alice.
This daughter Alice was apparently married to a man named Osgood. [Abiah married an Osgood.]
The information on Samuel comes from genealogy of E.Straw Thompson of 1897 and from the Straw Bible owned by Pluma Straw which contains the records of James Brown Straw. Additional information on names of children and dates of their birth per VR of South Hampton.
Sources: Pluma Straw Family Bible; genealogy of EST 1897; South Hampton VR; Amesbury VR; History of Weare, NH (Little); IGI Files;census records:Hopkinton, NH VR; DAR records.
Straw, son of William & Margaret (?) Straw, b. 13 Aug 1692, Salisbury MA; d. Oct 1773 at South Hampton, Rockingham Co NH; He m. at Amesbury MA to Elizabeth Dimond, dau of Israel & Abigail (Prowse) Dimond. She b. 1697 in Amesbury MA and d. 1773 at South Hampton, Rockingham Co NH.
Children of Samuel & Elizabeth (Dimond) Straw:
1. Elizabeth Straw, b 19 Apr 1719 Amesbury MA
2. Hannah Straw, b. 30 Apr 1721 in Salisbury MA; d. 1809 in Weare NH
3. Miriam Straw, b. 17 Apr 1723, d. 14 Sep 1735 both in Salisbury MA
4. Jonathan Straw, b. 28 Jan 1725 S. Hampton NH; d. 24 Jan 1791 Hopkinton NH; m. Mary Carr; had issue
5. Abia Straw, b. 9 Nov 1728 Salisbury MA, d. before 1809
6. +Ezekiel Straw, b. 15 Jan 1730/31 Salisbury MA
7. Jacob Straw, b. 21 May 1734 in S. Hampton, Rockingham Co NH, d. 5 Nov 1807 Hopkinton, Merrimack Co NH; m. Lydia Ordway; had issue; one of the early proprietors of Hopkinton NH [ancestor of Dr. Amos Gale Straw of Manchester NH - see article at a later date].
8. Israel Straw, b. 23 June 1735 Salisbury MA: d. 3 Apr 1800 Weare NH; m. Abiah Nelson
9. Samuel Straw, b. 29 May 1738 S. Hampton NH; d. aft. 1809; m. Ruth Flanders
Samuel married Elizabeth Dimond, daughter of Israel Dimond Jr and Abigail Prowse, on 12 Dec 1717 in Amesbury, Essex County, Massachusetts. (Elizabeth Dimond was born on 7 May 1697 in Amesbury, Essex County, Massachusetts and died after 1773 in So Hampton, NH.)